Tuesday, August 20, 2013

NCT: Day 8

I was hoping to make it to the post office in Grand Marais to pick up my resupply package. The rain from the night prior did not let up until around 9am, which negated any ideas of an early start. It was obvious from the poorly trod trail that most hikers stick with the hiking the beach, which is what we did. After hitting a stretch of rocks and soft sand I bailed for a nearby truck trail in order to reach the post office in time.

I ended up doing 23 miles in 6.5 hours, only to realize the post office closed a half hour earlier than I had anticipated. The post office clerk was still there and was nice enough to tell me my package had not yet arrived. I grabbed a six pack of two hearted ale, after earlier crossing the two hearted river, and drank several while watching the bay.

Having a few electronic devices I cannot be separate from I am always on the lookout for electrical outlets while hiking. A park overlooking the bay had a nice outdoor outlet under a pine tree. I love these little electrical finds.

There was some blues festival going on in Grand Marais. As a result there was no lodging. We found a super sweet spot to stealth camp on the beach, right on the border of what appeared to be city, and federal land.





No comments:

Post a Comment