Saturday, July 13, 2013

Intermission

When I created this blog I did not have a trail name. My proper trail name is Sasquatch. I hike in VFF's. I'm not certain if I will go back to the PCT this year, or next. However, I ultimately will be back. Maybe not a thru hike, but who knows. Knowing you can do something is pretty cool, actually doing it is a whole different beast.


I learned a whole bunch of cool stuff while hiking, and met a whole bunch of cool people. Having never hiked before, I was at times overwhelmed. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the trail, or the day after day grind of hiking. Luckily the trail is easier in the beginning, and gradually gets harder. This allows someone like me to build slowly. When I started I could not hike more than 12 miles in a day. After a few weeks I could do 20's day after day. Though I still took way too many zeros in town. I did one 30 mile day. At the end I could do 20 miles a day in the Sierras. The first few weeks I had terrible blisters, but towards the end my feet only hurt on the days I did not hike. I had very few aches and pains. Though, I only really averaged 11 miles per day from start to finish. Things were definitely more sore when I was pushing 20's on a regular basis. Sore, but luckily not injured. I am always amazed at what a good night of sleep can do.


If I go back this year it will be southbound from Portland, Ore. Or, perhaps I will try again next year having much more experience and knowledge to make hiking that much easier/more enjoyable. Regardless, I have had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment